Saturday, August 4, 2012

Free For All + Fun Friday

If I had my way, every day at my job would unfold like yesterday. 

Norman Rockwell model June Larkin.
Rockwell used her Troy, New York home as the
 reference for his "Homecoming" illustration,
and asked her to pose for the picture. Photo by
Jeremy Clowe for Norman Rockwell Museum.
All rights reserved.
I started the day off by interviewing a former model for Norman Rockwell. Timely actually, because the model, June Larkin, posed for Rockwell's 1945 painting, The Homecoming, which is on a temporary loan to Norman Rockwell MuseumLarkin's family heard about the painting through a news story, which makes me feel that I am doing something right in my job as manager of the Museum's press department. 

The family lives out in the Troy, New York area, which is where Rockwell based his illustration. Larkin shared her memories of meeting the famed artist as he walked around the boarding house where she and her family lived back in the 1940s. Not knowing who he was, she engaged the artist in conversation, and he asked her to pose for a picture he was working on. It wasn't until months later that she realized she had been asked to portray the shy girl standing at the side of the building waiting for the homecoming G.I. on the cover of the May 26, 1945 issue of The Saturday Evening Post

Norman Rockwell used Troy, New York, as the backdrop of several of his best-known illustrations back in the 1940s-1950s. Interestingly enough, there are now markers in the city to mark some of the well-known locations of these illustrations. Albany Times Union writer Don Rittner has an interesting blog that talks about Rockwell's association with the "collar city." Larkin's family also tells me of a coffee shop in the city that has reproductions of all Rockwell's Troy illustrations--sadly, it doesn't sound like Larkin gets an unlimited coffee card.

Anyway, I enjoyed learning more about June, and hearing about some of the history of Troy--it is really a fascinating city, that I have enjoyed learning more about. At one time, it was the site of much industrial and manufacturing (Larkin worked in the garment business during World War II-- a real "Rosie the Riveter!"). Here is a WMHT-TV documentary I have been meaning to watch about Uncle Sam's hometown during those war years. I also have my own short film I shot in Troy courtesy of the Arts Center--will have to share that soon.

Photo by Jeremy Clowe
for Norman Rockwell Museum.
All rights reserved.
Yesterday was also Free Fun Friday at the Museum, a special day where our visitors were offered free admission, courtesy of the Highland Street Foundation. We worked with the organization last year and it was a big success, and this year proved no different (they offer free admission to cultural venues throughout Massachusetts during the summer). What was fun about this Friday for me, was that I was asked to go around and take photos of our visitors. I spent most of the day doing so, and there was no shortage of subjects. What I also enjoy about this is that it gives me an opportunity to meet and talk with people--I ran into people from all over the east and west coast who were visiting, including a woman from my hometown of Rochester, New York. I find it fun to be creative while also communicating--it gets you away from being chained to your desk or art table. It was a beautiful day, and I think I got some good shots.

On the topic of photography, I'm looking at some of our great photos from our wedding, and trying to figure out where to collect them. Today I'm also getting ready for our big picnic/party tomorrow. It should be fun, and I look forward to more "Kodak moments" with our friends.  

Related Links:

"Norman Rockwell And Troy Made Beautiful Art Together!" Don Rittner, Albany Times Union, August 8, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment