Friday, August 10, 2012

Scouts' Honor

"Good Scouts (Portrait of a Girl Scout),"
Norman Rockwell (1894-1978). Cover illustration
for "Life" magazine, November 6, 1924.
Norman Rockwell Museum Digital Collections.
I had a delightful phone conversation today with the communications manager at the Girl Scouts of Central and Western Massachusetts. Norman Rockwell Museum is planning a big celebration for the Girl Scouts of the United States of America on Saturday, September 22, to mark the organization's 100 year anniversary (a longtime supporter of scouting, Rockwell did some work for the organization), and I was calling to find out more information, and how to publicize the event. I have been feeling generally disappointed with some people lately, so this phone conversation helped to brighten my day.

Dana does essentially the same kind of work I am doing, managing the council's press department and trying to be a good spokesperson for the organization. I have to say that I admired the thoughtful, intelligent, and helpful manner she had-- as trying as it can get to deal with press, media, and the public, I imagine that she does a great job. We talked a bit about the history of the Girl Scouts, founded in 1912 by the trailblazing Juliette Gordon Low, who was inspired by the boys' scouting movement during a trip to Europe. Her "Girl Guides" gathered for the first time in Savannah, Georgia, and today there are 3.2 million Girl Scouts—2.3 million girl members and 890,000 adult members working primarily as volunteers. Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others. 

The story of the Girl Scouts sounds fascinating, and I'm so glad the Museum is doing this celebration. My wife Sarah, in fact, was a Girl Scout for a long period of time, right through high school, and the more I learn about the organization, I can see why she would stick with it--the organization seems like it would match her personality traits of being helpful and service-minded. I guess that is part of why we connected--I too was involved with Cub Scouts, and my father was actually a scout master for a period of time--I have fond memories of my time with the group, and the service and community aspects match my nature and interests as well.

Unfortunately, the Boy Scouts have come under a bit of flack recently for not being so open-minded when it comes to issues of equality. There was a bit of concern about how to promote this event, because of some of the bad press that the Scouts have received. Actually, the Girl Scouts of the USA are a separate organization, and have been much more progressive when it comes to issues of tolerance and opportunities. It makes sense, since the organization was founded by forward-thinking women during an era of increased rights and gender equality. 

I guess I have been feeling slightly cynical lately, finding that some of the "artists" that I know have been more concerned with money than the important things in life--like family, friendships, causes for the common good. Maybe I have too high expectations of people. I think I'm actually coming around to be a little more realistic about people, about not counting on others' to fulfill my needs, help me find happiness. But I also have a wonderful wife now, who supports me and keeps me level-headed. 

Disappointments come and go... maybe more for the sensitive, idealistic type... but helping to promote meaningful events for organizations like the Girl Scouts, restores my faith in humanity. We need people like Juliette Gordon Low--it must be a honor to help forward those ideals. 

www.girlscouts.org

Norman Rockwell Museum press release I wrote for September 22 event


No comments:

Post a Comment