Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pure Movement

For a couple who barely left the neighborhood this weekend, we sure got a lot accomplished! It's funny how the prospect of moving can light a bit of fire under your feet... we set about organizing our current place and I swear, it's the most comfortable I have seen it! Things can get a little overwhelming when you let clutter take over, and I'm pleased with how Sarah and I finally took the time to get on top of that. I hope we can continue to keep good feng shui in mind while starting our new home--I work so much better as a result.

So we have two apartments that have really caught our eye--both nice places that I can see us living in... I guess it might come down to location. Hopefully we can figure things out by the end of the month.

Tonight we drove down to Scotia's Freedom Park to meet friends and family for a free, live dance performance of the Ellen Sinopoli Dance Company. It was held outside, close to the banks of the Mohawk River, and the evening benefitted from pleasant late summer air. The dancers were good--they did one work that related to the river, some audience participation for children, as well as a couple Latin-themed numbers... I thought those worked best... I mean, how can you not respond to that music?


On the way home Sarah and I reviewed the performance, and thought it was funny that we both watch dance with more of a critical eye these days. We're not professional dancers, but I guess when you are continually exposed to So You Think You Can Dance and The Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, you become conscious of the high bar being set by some performers. 

I mentioned last week that I found my way out to the Berkshires via Jacob's Pillow. I had been dating a dancer (who subsequently broke my heart), and was curious to learn more about that world. Sure, I had taken some classes back in Rochester--swing, ballroom, and with such modern dance groups as Garth Fagan Dance, but I knew there was a whole other level of understanding... this girl used to talk in such an insightful way, that I hoped to gain that same level of original thought. Well, imagine my surprise when I arrived at the Pillow and watched a documentary on the Paul Taylor Dance Company... and heard many of her once inspired words repeated right back to me. Not only that, but I got to see a whole other level of dance... I mean the kind that is weightless... joyful... effortless... I'm not saying that old girlfriend wasn't a good dancer (I guess she was in some technical kind of way), but there is something about honest expression and, in this case, originality that I guess you either have or not.

Ok, maybe I'm just bitter... that girl really did a number on me in the disrespect department (if I were to choreograph the experience, I would use this song). But I hate to taint a blog intended to be about the beauty of dance, so I'll just say... lesson learned about sticking up for myself.

Sarah and I both love dance, and I look forward to learning more... perhaps some more modern dance lessons... it really is one of the most pure art forms. When you're losing yourself in honest, creative movement... that's what I want to be and experience in my life. Moving on...


No comments:

Post a Comment