Monday, August 20, 2012

Rolling On The River

This morning my co-worker was asking me about the arts scene in Hudson, New York. I told her that I had just heard about a new museum planned for the city, created by noted performance artist Marina Abramovic. Well, not long after I had this discussion, I happened to receive a link to this article in the Albany Times Union.

According to the article, The Marina Abramovic Institute for the Preservation of Performance Art is scheduled to open in 2014: "it promises to be a laboratory for all types of what Abramovic calls 'time-based performance,' including dance, theater, film, video, opera and music." The artist gave a preview of the space on Sunday, August 12, and the architectural models promise something quite futuristic.

Jump back to the past, and I think this renovated building they are planning to use is the old movie theater that my father used to live near in the city. I have heard stories about how he used to walk down to the building to make sketches of the old movie posters on display outside. Kind of sweet to see the space being rehabilitated for creative use.

There is an interesting scene forming in Hudson. I have already blogged about the music. Abramovic is a world renowned artist, and it will be interesting to see how her creativity could add to the vibe. There is a documentary that just came out (The Artist Is Present) that I should see to learn more about her work and ideas... however I have actually gotten a taste of it already--in 2010 we saw Abramovic's exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art, where she sat motionless in a chair in the middle of a gallery, for hours on end, while visitors were invited to sit down in front of her and stare back. It was an intriguing and, not surprisingly, successful show.



I like the note in the article from the Institute's Director Serge Le Borgne, who said his mission is to introduce more people to performance art. "Art is not only for the elite," he is quoted. "Art is for everybody..." Exactly. I admire Abramovic's vision, and hope the Institute can work with the city of Hudson to involve and challenge everyone. Despite the influx of arts, the city risks gentrification (sadly, it may already be there). It would suck if it were to become overrun with some of the pretentious people I have come across in the Berkshires. But if it does, I guess I can still hold out for the Capital Region...

Related Links:

"Hear the boom? That's art," Albany Times Union, Friday, August 17, 2012

Marina Abramovic: Live at MoMA, MoMAvideos, YouTube

Marina Abramovic: The Artist Is Present/Institute For Long Duration Performance Art, aitchayess, YouTube

"Special Chairs and Lots of Time: Marina Abramovic Plans Her New Center," New York Times, May 6, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment