Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Get Up Offa That Thing

Tonight Sarah and I started a month-long swing dance class. We had taken classes in the past, but it has been awhile since we have practiced it regularly. We thought it couldn't hurt to brush up on our moves in time for next month's festivities.

Sarah and I met out dancing, so it feels nice to bring it full-circle. The instructor was good, and broke down the steps in an easy-to-understand manner. He also had us switch partners throughout the class, so in reality we didn't dance together that much tonight... but it's not a bad way to learn from those of varying skill sets and styles.

We also enjoy watching dance. One of our favorite TV shows, So You Think You Can Dancehas just returned for a new season. I'm not usually a fan of these reality/competition shows, but feel that SYTYCD is a little classier and serious about the subject than others. We have seen some amazing dancers on this program over the years that we have watched it faithfully... pretty much every one since we met! Hip-hop, modern, latin... they do it all! I think our favorite is still season two... we couldn't get enough, and even drove out to Buffalo, New York, in 2006 to see the top ten dancers perform at the Shea's Theatre--it was great! The winner of that season, Benji Schwimmer, and his very charming cousin Heidi, were actually trained in swing dance--here is Benji's audition:


There is also a great dance festival called Jacob's Pillow that runs through the summer in the Berkshires. We have seen great performances there as well. That's how I originally discovered the Berkshires (good and bad, I guess), but it brought me to my current path, and forever sweetheart, who I am more than happy to lead.

Related Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment