Thursday, June 14, 2012

poetry in motion

Photo from last year's SWAP mid=year show.
Media design by your's truly.
Photo courtesy SWAP. All rights reserved.
I spent the evening trying to wrap up the visuals for The Spoken Word Alman Project... almost there! Earlier in the day I heard an interesting take on the concept of poetry inspired by news and current events--it seems that each month NPR is airing a poet's take on the news of the day... now that's a challenge (the SWAPsters at least have three weeks to come up their monthly poems)! It's called NewsPoet, and the entry today is by Robert Pinksy, who served as the United States Poet Laureate from 1997-2000. Looking further back, I notice that they also have an entry from Kevin Young, who I had been hired to film last year at The Mount, writer Edith Wharton's estate in the Berkshires, where he did a special reading of his work. Poetry is an interesting art form... I wouldn't mind learning more about the structure... I am always drawn to rhythm, which is probably why I enjoy video editing so much.


Closer to home, my long-time friend Leslie emailed to let me know she had finished a poem of her own for Sarah and my wedding... looking forward to hearing that on our big day... I can only imagine! 


Related Link:


Excerpt from Kevin Young's Ardency: A Chronicle of The Amistad Rebels (At Length Magazine)

No comments:

Post a Comment