Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Ok, we loved The Avengersit had just the right mix of action, personal drama, and cool costumes. My "inner fanboy" was revived at the sight of Thor doing battle with The Hulk, and I could feel the grin on my face forming when Captain America met Iron Man for the first time. A proper review will have to wait, while I catch my breath...

Exhausted after a long day at work, I asked Sarah if she wanted to watch Thor, which we hadn't seen yet−she agreed... said she was wished we could have had a Marvel movie marathon instead of work today (yeah, she's a keeper!).

Thor wasn't one of the comic books I really read as a kid, but the movie actually stacks up as one of the better superhero movies I have seen! Great art direction and cinematography, and I loved the Ice Giants. I think the character Thor, played by Chris Hemsworth, was even better here than in The Avengers... interesting to see how the director's hand influences things (here by Kenneth Branagh, and in The Avengers: Joss Whedon).  

My spider-sense was always tingling.
Photo ©The J.Clowe Experience archives.
For someone who grew up during a time when it wasn't cool to admit you liked comic books, the recent movie adaptation craze is like a sweet reversal of fortune! I always knew there was some great storytelling and creativity here... nice to see more people catching on. Here's a quick top-ten list of my favorite superhero movies:

1. Batman: The Dark Knight (2008): great direction, acting, everything... Proof that you could make a "realistic" superhero movie that exists outside the genre.

2. Spider-Man 2 (2004): always my favorite superhero growing up. Tobey Maguire was a brilliant Peter Parker... I'm not sure I can deal with this new series about to be released. This second movie in director Sam Raimi's series was quite a ride... I can forgive some of the fake CGI. 

3. X-Men (2000): Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier... Hugh Jackman as Wolverine... YES.


5. Batman Returns (1992): I was a big Tim Burton fan, and in this sequel to his take on the character, the director is really able to showcase his own creativity. Enjoyed Michael Keaton as Batman, Danny DeVito as The Penguin, and Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman was purrrfect. Great costuming, art direction... but maybe a little too "dark and adult" for kids, eh?


6. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011): we caught this at the drive-in... great popcorn movie! Again: great actors, story, cinematography, art direction. Love the 1940s period setting.

7. Superman II (1980): Christopher Reeve will always be "The Man of Steel."

8. Batman Begins (2005): start of great series (so far) by director Christopher Nolan.

9. Spider-Man (2002): As I said above, I loved Tobey Maguire as Spidey... and Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin... Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane... just wish the CGI was more consistent... I would have rated this higher. I was absolutely thrilled when this was released (caught it opening day in NYC).

10. Iron Man (2008): Cool suit and action... Robert Downey Jr. is a great Iron Man... hope they tackle the alcoholism thread from the comics at some point. Great kick off to the modern Marvel movie era−shows they knew what they were doing... like in the old days!

Keep 'em coming!...




No comments:

Post a Comment