Sunday, May 20, 2012

Sunny Side Up

There's a lot going on... I had trouble sleeping last night, thinking about all there is yet to do. Anyway, although exhausted, today turned out just fine. I worked on some materials for the Spoken Word Almanac Project in the morning, listened to the rebroadcast of my WEXT My Exit show (how could I object to hearing myself on the car stereo?), and stopped over at the wedding venue for a food tasting. I think we're in good hands-- I hadn't been to the venue since last winter, so haven't really seen it during spring/summer, when it is a lot more lush.

The Egg, man... goo goog a joog!
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
From there, we drove to downtown Albany to attend our friend's graduation from nursing school. It was held at The Egg (pictured in the photo), a unique events/performance space located in Empire State Plaza, near the state house and other governmental buildings. 

The Egg was designed by Wallace Harrison and built in 1978--I once dated a girl who says that her father fell off The Egg while working on its construction (instead, she was born!). The building certain adds some character to the Albany skyline. Even the band They Might Be Giants were so inspired that they wrote a song about the building--I actually attended their 2004 concert (in The Egg) where they debuted the quirky tune:


The egg seems as much a sculpture as a building. Inside, the acoustics are actually quite good, and the venue has played host to some interesting acts, including They Might Be Giants and Ray Davies of the Kinks (both of which I have seen). On tap is a farewell concert by Glen Campbell, which is probably worth seeing... Also on tap: Psychedelic Furs, Alejandro Escovedo, and Matthew Sweet, who I had met ages ago when I used to DJ at WBER-FM.

But back to the purpose of scrambling to the Egg this afternoon: our friend's graduation. It was a beautiful day out... we went back to her place for dinner, a bonfire, and good company. The summer season really has begun... sunny side up!

Related links:



No comments:

Post a Comment