Monday, May 7, 2012

Icing On The Cake

Ok, I was going to drop this whole superhero/comics thread−I think I've gone on long enough... BUT... I finally watched Iron Man 2 last night. What a fantastic flick! I really enjoyed it... scenes like this had me grinning from ear-to-ear:



I didn't really have high hopes for the sequel. I mean, I really enjoyed the first Iron Man movie, but I had heard this one sort of paled in comparison. Well, I thought the exact opposite... there seemed to be a lot more action, CGI looked better, bigger laughs, conflict with Tony Stark and his life-threatening condition, and a killer cast. Mickey Rourke as the villain Ivan Vanko/Whiplash was pretty creepy and dangerous in the way that actor can do, and I really liked Don Cheadle as James Rhodes, Gwyneth Paltrow as assistant/love interest Pepper Potts, Samuel L. Jackson as S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Nick Fury (Avengers tie-in!), and especially Sam Rockwell as the obnoxious and conniving Justin Hammer, who is trying to create his own battle armor and put Tony Stark (played again by the wonderful Robert Downey Jr.) out of business. I can't believe Rockwell is the same guy who starred in the terrific sci-fi flick MoonI'll have to check out more of his work. For Iron Man 2, the pacing is brisk, the filming stylish, and I think Jon Favreau has turned out to be a great director for this series: there's something about the whole cool, martini-soaked vibe that he brings... makes me think back to the movie Swingers he starred in back in the mid-90s (he co-wrote that one too, babies). This is the kind of movie I would love to make if I wasn't too busy dreaming about making artsy films. It just made my night... I need to buy it.


Ok, so I'm becoming a convert to Marvel Comics again (the Avengers movie had a record $207.4 million opening this weekend, by the way). Maybe my Mom needs to make me more superhero cakes like she did back in the old days... maybe I need to find adult-sized Underoos... maybe I need to update my top-ten super hero movie list from last week. Hmm. Ok, maybe it should look like this now:

I am Iron Man cake!
Photo ©JClowe Experience archives.
Jeremy's Top Ten Super Hero Movie List of All Time (Take 2):

1. Batman: The Dark Knight (2008)
2. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
3. The Avengers (2012)
4. X-Men (2000)
5. Iron Man 2 (2010)
6. Batman Returns (1992)
7. Thor (2010)
8. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
9. Superman II (1980)
10. Spider-Man (2002)


So there you go. Case closed... at least until the new Spider-Man and Batman movies come out later this summer!

Related Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment