Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Art of Documentation

Continuing on yesterday's thread about the Museum's upcoming exhibition on illustrator Howard Pyle, It turns out there is a documentary about the artist that was just released. It looks well-done... here is a preview:




The feature was produced by filmmaker Paul Mento from Silver Hand Productions. According to the Delaware Art Museum, which organized the exhibition and screened the documentary, Mento has been a lifelong fan of the artist. His name sounded familiar to me, and now I realize that he had actually been in touch with me at the Museum a couple years back, looking for information about Pyle's influence on Norman Rockwell. I'll have to check out the documentary--no doubt it will be useful in learning more about Pyle's work and how to promote the exhibition.


There is another new artist documentary coming out, which is also worth mentioning. Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounter follows the work of acclaimed photographer Gregory Crewdson, who creates haunting, surreal, and stunning photographs, that have an eerie, cinematic feel to them. Think Edward Hopper born again as a filmmaker who is taking still photos, and that it what Crewdson's world looks like:






I first discovered the photographer's work when I started working in Massachusetts. He has set many of his scenes there (including my former town of Lee), and spends a bit of time in the Berkshires. There is even something of a twisted mirror on the work that Rockwell is known for, and I have met the photographer on a couple of occasions while I have worked at the Museum; the last time was during a lecture he gave at Norman Rockwell Museum a couple years ago, where this documentary filmmaker, Ben Shapiro was also present. 


The film is having a screening on the final night of this year's Berkshire International Film Festival. My friend Stephanie, a talented actress, actually posed for one of the photographs in the series that is being examined in this documentary (it even made the cover of the catalogue for the series). I wonder if she will make it into the documentary... go Stephanie!


My "Crewdson-wannabe" photo shoot with Sarah following
the photographer's lecture at Norman Rockwell Museum, March 27, 2010.
Photo ©Jeremy Clowe. All rights reserved.
I would love to see the documentary (maybe even work with Crewdson sometime), but we are scheduled to meet our wedding photographer this Sunday--he's also a creative guy... I just hope the wedding photos don't look like Crewdson's! Hopefully there will be other screenings of the film to catch.

Hmm... these documentaries make me jealous really... I'm not sure how they are totally financed and produced, but what a great gig--I could get into doing work like this (and I'll keep trying!). Looking for time, money, and a good HD camera... please!

Related Links:


www.howardpyledvd.com


www.gregorycrewdsonmovie.com


www.biffma.com

No comments:

Post a Comment